So….according to my notes, I first started what I’m calling my “winter set” back in November of 2011. And I finally finished the last piece, the scarf…in March of 2015. Two hard winters in a row, yet I didn’t get this finished until after the second one was over! The problem is that I can find scarves very long, tedious knitting projects. It was always so much easier to pick up something else. Until the cold hit at the start of this year. That plus my need for a project that I didn’t need to think about–pretty much all of 2015 this year has been busy work-wise, which has translated into less brainpower for the knitting–meant that suddenly the scarf seemed much more appealing. And even if I didn’t get to use it more than once or twice this year, there’s always next year. (Unless of course having a super-cozy scarf means the winter will be mild. A trade-off I would take!)
Pattern: Monkeybread Scarf by Anne Hanson (Ravelry)
Yarn: MinkYarn.com Chamonix, 70% Mink 30% Cashmere DK. 4 ply (+/- 2 skeins – whatever was left over after knitting a hat and mittens from the 4 skeins I purchased)
Needles: US7/ 4.5 mm
True to all reds, the color is hard to photograph. On my monitor, I’d say the color is really somewhere between the brighter red at the top and the “bluer” red at the bottom. It’s a nice rich red (which doesn’t seem to be available in this yarn any longer, pity.) Taking indoor photos probably didn’t help, but these are from when the weather was still iffy, and I must confess I’m too lazy to try for better!
I made the “infinity” version of the scarf and it’s only just long enough to wrap twice on a really cold day, so my row gauge is probably tighter than the pattern’s. If I recall correctly, I knit the number of repeats the pattern called for, and didn’t have enough yarn to knit any more. It wasn’t one of my more enjoyable knits–the super-wide cables, while fun to look at are a bit tricky to work with just a cable needle (retrospectively, I should have sought out a US7 DPN to make it easier). I also had a tricky time with the graft, because I was trying to keep the pattern (garter stitch edges, reverse stockinette between the cable sections). I finally had to take it off the needles so I could see the stitches clearly. (I also watched Anne’s free Craftsy video on grafting–the bit on textured stitches was very helpful.) But it was the perfect winter project.