quick update

Well, I got off to a bit of  a slow start with the Knitting Olympics, but at least I haven’t run into any snags so far. This is definitely going to be one of those projects that needs the miracle of blocking to shine. (Typical of alpaca, I think.) I’m using Briar Rose Angel Face, which is the nicest alpaca I’ve knit with – it’s not scratchy like some of the others I’ve tried.

DSCN6613

wintery thoughts

DSCN6603

It shouldn’t be a surprise that my thoughts have been directed in anticipation of the Winter Olympics lately. And not just because of the advertising, the sports news, or even the snow. (Admittedly, the snow in our neck of the woods hasn’t been near the hassle that Baltimore or D.C. have had. Not only have we had less, we’re a little bit more used to it.) Nope. Totally because of the Knitting Olympics/Ravelympics.

Yes, I’ve decided to participate. I’ll be watching the Olympics and knitting anyway. No, I probably won’t make my goal. I have a pretty strong history of underestimating time required for any such commitment. If I were smart, I’d choose one of the WIP categories and finish one of my growing pile of starts. For example, this one.

DSCN6600

Bet you didn’t even know I’d started another sweater… (And no, the blue one isn’t finished. It’s mostly seamed. I’m just not completely satisfied with the fit and haven’t motivated myself to undo the shoulders and rip back to correct it. It’s mostly tearing out the seams that I’m avoiding.)

The new sweater is Ondulé, from Knitspot. I’ve had the yarn, Legend from Briar Rose for over a year, and had been waffling over which sweater to make when Anne released this pattern, which is perfect for the slight variegation of the the yarn. It’s an easy knit, perfect for TV viewing, but I’m not going to knit it during the Olympics either.

Nope. We have to be difficult. We have to go for something new. And big. And challenging.

Namely, after saying for months that I was going to knit an Aeolian, I’m finally going to do it. I have the gauge swatch finished. I know the needle size (impossibly small, of course). The yarn
(Briar Rose Angel Face) is wound. The pattern is printed. Bring on the Opening Ceremonies!

DSCN4883

little things

A year or so ago, while participating in one of the Seasons of Lace seasons, I won some stitch markers from The Woolly Seashell (recent name change to Prolonged Sunlight). I had steered clear of decorative stitch markers previously as I was afraid of snagging my (usually lace) knitting. However, the new markers were so charming, I was converted.

A recent post by Anne about a different stitch marker maker (say that five times fast!) reminded me that it would be nice to have some more…

DSCN6597

DSCN6595

DSCN6594

DSCN6592

From the top: Green Meanies and Red Tide Stitch Markers from the Woolly Seashell.  Lapis & Crystal and Amethyst and Flourite on a Helpful Heart from Hearts of Gratitude. I’d actually only ordered the Lapis & Crystal from Hearts of Gratitude, but they were promoting the new Helpful Heart, so they sent those and with the Amethyst as well, wasn’t that nice! I was pleased by the service from both stores; they both sent out my orders the day after I placed them, and they were both charmingly packaged. This is one of the things I really like about the knitting world – there seem to be so many small vendors of various knitting related products, and in my experience, they all seem to have such good customer service. (More surprising – despite coming from two different directions, the US Postal Service managed to deliver them both the same day!)

winter wrap

Photos a bit delayed, but I think I finally have my act together!

DSCN6568

DSCN6532

DSCN6558

Pattern: Hemlock Ring Blanket

Yarn: Cascade Eco Wool

Needle: US 10-1/2 (6.5 mm) – a shocker – I didn’t have to drop my customary 2-3 needle sizes!

Modifications: none really, other than I kept knitting until I ran out of wool

I can’t believe how light this seem post-blocking. It’s bulky wool…but that whole lace/blocking combo strikes again, making the blanket seem lighter than it should. I couldn’t believe how much it grew either, but I don’t think I really stretched it all that much, just to flatten it out (a bit – it seems to have retained a bit of pleasing bumpiness). All-in-all an enjoyable project.